Thursday, November 30

Best weekend!

So I realize that this post is a little late but I'm going to talk about London... Last weekend Kat, Ashley, Cheryl (2 of Kat's flatmates) and I went to London just for the hell of it. It was a blast. When we got to London we had to take the London Underground (tube) to our hostel/hotel thing which took forever to find because we were walking on the wrong side of the road and road signs aren't marked very well. Anyway the tube was packed with people (friday afternoon/evening rush hour) so we were sardines packed in the trains. Finally we found the hostel and the guy at the desk (who I think must have been Russian) couldn't find our reservation in his reservation book so he had to call someone else. Meanwhile he's speaking Russian or something to this guy (not a very good business tactic if you ask me... he should have spoken english so that way we could know what was going on). Kat had our reservation confirmation out and he was rattling away in some unknown language and I'm just standing there glaring at him because there's no WAY we've come to London without a place to stay. At one point as he was talking Russian he looked at me glaring at him and nodded as if to say everything's fine and doing it in a way that made me think he thought I understood what he was saying. Finally everything was sorted out and it turns out that they own 3 different hostels and we had been moved to a different one because of some scheduling problem or something. Not to worry, buddy walked us to our hostel and we were greeted by this stallion of a man while The Godfather was on TV in the background:

I believe the first words that came out of his mouth were... Oh Girls! Only girls here... EW. Then we had to walk up to the 4th floor (but it's really the fifth floor cause the first floor is called the ground floor over here) anyway there were LOTS of stairs and we got up there. This left us with about 10 minutes to get to another part of London to see the love of my life... BLOOD BROTHERS! Of course when you're in a hurry to be somewhere it seems like everyone else moves at a snails pace although that of course wasn't the case it just seemed like they were. We did make it but were about 10 minutes late... not too bad we only missed the beginning which is more or less the end. Then we were all really tired so we went to MacDonald's (ew) because we were starving and a lot of places weren't serving food anymore or not for much longer and then went to sleep. The next morning we woke up super early (for students, 7:30 is EXTREMELY early) had a shower and went to Camden Town and spent a long time there. There's just SO much to see... worth a visit if you're ever in London. Then we went on the London Eye while Kat wondered around (I don't know why but she didn't want to go)... brave girl I'd say. Then we walked to Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and all the way to Buckingham Palace. I think it would have helped us if we knew where Buckingham Palace was... but we saw it while on the London eye and assumed we could make it no problem. We then had to find a tube station so we wandered back and ended up in Piccadilly Circus (similar, I've been told, to Time Square in New York). After that we found an amazing Italian restaurant that served authentic homemade Italian food... bellissimo! Then we were going to go back to the Paddington area where our hostel was and go to a pub but we ended up watching a movie... that's how tired we were after doing SO much! The next morning Ashley and I went to a service at Westminster Abbey where we got to sit beside the choir (those young boys have incredible voices!) Afterwhich we met up with Kat and Cheryl in Oxford Circus, had lunch and then headed to the Coach Station to get our bus back to Swansea. It was an amazing weekend and I'm looking forward to MANY more fun weekends like it! :D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home