Tuesday, October 3

My first UK choir!

I think I had the best sleep last night since I've been here. And it seemed like once I was ready to actually fall asleep, all the noise outside just seemed to disappear. Too bad I had to wake up at like 8 for my 9am class. Which I then had to find the lecture room for. I don't know what they were thinking when they designed the lecture rooms in this university. Things either aren't marked or they just are in the most random place. My Welsh lecture this morning (the one at 9) was in the main Students Union Building (similar to the SUB at UNB) and it was right beside the bar I went to last night with the choir after we had our first practice. Strange. So I had my first choir practice last night. There ended up being 8 altos I think... not bad. There were like 20 sopranos which is to be expected, but what I was most surprised about was the amount of basses we had (there were only 2 tenors)... but there were like 10-15 basses. And it sounded so cool cause they were actually pretty good. We even got a "squash and biscuit" break which consisted of squash (I'm told it's a sort of juice/sugar/water mixture), cookies and wine (because it was the first practice)... I think the break was like 30 minutes long so we only sang for probably 1.5 hours which wasn't what I was expecting. During the break all the people who are on the choir committee (basically those who run the choir) decided they had to drink all the left over wine so they were a little tipsy. It's so different from UNB's choir... it's all student run and it costs 3 pounds to join but I think it's worth it. Apparently there's going to be a Christmas concert which should be fun. We've already started singing Christmas music too... it's not Fair Phyllis or Tjuv och Tjuv... but I think it will do for the time being.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lynda said...

Tjuv!!!

Ooh, 10-15 basses... I'm so jealous!!!

Maybe I should bring some cookies and wine to choir practice on Wednesday...

hehe... tjuv.

5:35 p.m.  
Blogger Emily said...

What did you call me!? haha just joking!

cookies and wine would definitely liven things up a bit.

5:55 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home